← Back to posts


Getting the right documents to sell your home

By Guest Blogger on in Selling

Getting the right documents to sell your home

By Ben Johnson, Yopa estate agents

Whether you like it or (more likely) not, moving home can a bureaucratic nightmare, and a good moving home checklist will help you get prepared for all the stages of selling your home. Legal statements, identity, and mandatory energy certificates are just a few of the pieces of paperwork you need.


You need to show who you are and where you live. This means presenting a passport or driver’s license to your solicitor, along with a couple of utility bills to prove your address. You also want to provide a correspondence address if this is different.

The Property

Freeholds and leaseholds are of vital importance. If your property has a shared freehold (often referred to as part ownership), you need to break down what percentage of the freehold is owned by whom and whether there are any charges relating to that – for example ground rent.

If it’s a leasehold, you need to show how those charges stack up: management fees, ground rent and rent/charge increases and how those increases are calculated. This is known as a management information pack or a leasehold information pack.

You’ll also need to present the title deeds and get a copy of the Land Registry title. Your solicitor will usually arrange for the title, but you can always get it yourself (for a cost of £9). This is accompanied by a TA6 form, which gives the essential details regarding the property. This includes details of boundaries, warranties (e.g., for solar panels), flooding risk, parking, services, planning proposals and so on. It even includes details about utilities and the potential cost of insurance. It’ll also include details about moving dates and when you want to exchange contracts.

The TA10 form shows what fittings and fixtures are included in the property. This includes anything that could potentially be removed, so include the garden shed (if it’s wooden and movable), plants and any included indoor fixtures (mirrors, furniture) if they’re being sold with the property.

You’ll also need to get an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) that shows how your property performs in terms of energy efficiency. These usually cost between £50 and £120 unless one has been done within the last 10 years, in which case, you can retrieve it from the official site.


You’ll need to show what charges are on your property and how much of your mortgage you have left. This is because mortgage providers have a legal and financial interest in your property, and so that interest can be transferred to your new property or paid off. If you’ve secured a loan, that needs to be listed as well.

Formal Acceptance

Accepting the offer means filling out yet another form. You’ll also need to sign a transfer of deeds and several other documents to ensure the transaction is done in a legal manner.

All these documents can seem a little baffling at first, but a good estate agent and solicitor or conveyancer will help you to complete the process more effectively.